When Do You Start Seeing Results With Invisalign?
Invisalign and Invisalign Teen are convenient, comfortable, virtually invisible treatment options. If you’re considering clear aligners to improve your smile, you’re probably wondering: When do you start seeing results with Invisalign? How long does Invisalign take overall? Well, the team here at Hawley Orthodontics has the answers!
How Does Invisalign Work?
First, it’s important to understand how Invisalign works. We kick off the Invisalign process by using our iTero scanner to take digital impressions. Once your scans are uploaded into our software program, we’re able to create a computerized, 3D model of your mouth. Our Papillion orthodontist, Dr. Hawley, moves each individual tooth into its ideal place directly on this model to create your perfect smile. He sends his specifications to the Invisalign lab and they print a series of custom aligners based on his treatment plan.
Over time, your Invisalign aligners will help your teeth move horizontally, vertically or even rotate until they’re exactly where we want them, but not all of your teeth move at once. Each set of Invisalign aligners within the series is designed to achieve specific tooth movements. The aligners exert the right amount of force at the right time. As you make your way through the series, your new smile gradually takes shape.
When Do You Start Seeing Results with Invisalign?
So, how long does Invisalign take to work? Every patient is unique, but most people start to see differences in as little as a few weeks. The amazing thing about the clear aligners, however, is that you’ll be able to see your Invisalign progress in real-time, because your teeth aren’t obscured by brackets and wires.
What Will My Invisalign Progress Look Like?
Everyone’s Invisalign progress will look different. As we said, Dr. Hawley will determine your tooth movements in advance when he creates your treatment plan. Depending on your specific orthodontic issues and needs, your aligners may be designed to achieve certain smaller movements first, followed by larger, more complicated tooth movements.
The good news is, using the 3D model of your mouth and our Invisalign Outcome Simulator, we can show you what your new smile will look like at the end of treatment, as well as during each stage of the process. It’s kind of like an Invisalign time lapse that lets you visualize what changes are going to occur and when they’ll happen.
How Long Does Invisalign Take Overall?
Your Invisalign treatment time will depend on a number of factors, including how severe your case is, the orthodontic problem we’re treating, how dedicated you are to wearing your aligners, the health of your teeth and gums, and how your body responds to treatment. While it could be a tad shorter or longer, the average Invisalign treatment time is between 6 and 18 months.
Does Invisalign Work Faster Than Braces?
Usually, the treatment time won’t be significantly different between Invisalign and braces. However, there are some cases where Invisalign may actually be quite a bit faster. Depending on your preference, either Invisalign or braces can help you meet your goals.
How Can I Get the Best Invisalign Results?
While Dr. Hawley will create your treatment plan, you’ll also play a big role in your Invisalign progress. In order to get the best results and stick to your Invisalign timeline:
- Wear your aligners for about 22 hours per day. Only take your aligners out to eat, drink anything aside from plain water, and brush and floss your teeth. Every time your aligners are out, it hits the pause button on your tooth movements. So the more you wear them, the faster your teeth will shift into place.
- Change your Invisalign trays according to the schedule. While it will depend on your treatment plan, most patients change to a new set of aligners every one to two weeks.
- Maintain excellent oral hygiene since teeth move most efficiently in a healthy mouth. Your aligners will trap any food particles or liquids that are on your teeth beneath them, so brush your teeth after every meal and snack and rinse your aligners off. You’ll want your teeth to be clean before putting your aligners back in. Be sure to floss your teeth once daily too!
- Store your aligners in your Invisalign case when you’re not wearing them. Losing your aligners can slow your Invisalign treatment time down.
- If you’re given auxiliaries to use, such as Invisalign rubber bands, make sure to wear them as directed.
Connect With a Leading Omaha Invisalign Provider
Now that you have a general idea of when you can expect to see Invisalign progress and how long treatment will take overall, are you ready to find out if you’re a candidate for clear aligners? Schedule a complimentary consultation at Hawley Orthodontics in Papillion, NE today! Once Dr. Hawley has a chance to evaluate your smile and determine an accurate diagnosis, he’ll be able to let you know exactly how long Invisalign will take in your specific case.