Braces will change your life when they come off but not so much when you’re actually wearing them. With a few little tweaks, you can go on with your day-to-day activities without interruption and make the most out of your treatment.Keep reading to find out more or get the scoop directly from our Greater Omaha orthodontist, Dr. Hawley, by calling us at (402) 592-3200 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and scheduling your free exam.
What to Eat With Braces
- Pasta (spaghetti and macaroni and cheese)
- Soft shell tacos
- French fries
- Mashed potatoes
- Fish sticks
- Peanut butter
- Jello, pudding and smoothies
- Applesauce and fruit cups
- Ice cream
- Soft candy (Hershey’s bars without nuts, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, etc.)
- Popsicles and fudge bars
Brushing & Flossing
- Brush at least three times per day for a minimum of two minutes each session.
- Using the electric toothbrush we’ll give you and some non-whitening toothpaste, brush with small, circular motions around your braces and along your gum line (where your teeth and gums meet).
- Be sure to brush all surfaces of your teeth and around your back molars.
- Use the proxy brush provided to get any areas you missed between your braces.
- Floss daily, preferably at night, using dental floss or orthodontic flossers to remove plaque and food particles.
- Rinse with mouthwash twice a day for 60 seconds to kill germs. We recommend a mouthwash with fluoride.
- Be gentle with your braces and leave the adjustments to us! Playing with them can pull them loose.
- Visit your general dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings (ideally every three months) throughout your orthodontic treatment.
Considering Dr. Hawley is a huge sports fan, he’d never tell his patients to sit on the sidelines throughout their braces treatment. You can still do all of the things you love. We’ll give you a mouthguard to wear while playing to keep your mouth and braces safe.
What Happens After I Finish My Treatment
When you finish your braces or Invisalign treatment, your teeth have a natural tendency to shift back towards their old places. The key to preventing this and keeping your smile looking amazing is wearing a retainer. We’ll create a custom retainer just for you once your braces come off or you take out that last set of aligners. The appliance will stabilize your teeth in their new positions and ensure your results last a lifetime.